Be Watchful


"I always feel like somebody's watching me" was a big hit in the 80's. It was about a paranoid young man who felt he was being watched and stalked all the time. The Bible discourages us from living a fearful and paranoid life, but it does encourage us to be "watchful".



Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
Colossians 4:2

Being watchful for what? Two things pop into my mind --- danger and opportunity.

Peter tells us to watch out because the devil is prowling around to see who he can devour. I think Paul's admonition to be watchful follows this line of thinking - to be careful of all the deceitful and harmful doctrine he had written to them about.

Additionally, I think Paul meant for them to pray being watchful for opportunities to share Christ with others. In the very next sentence Paul asks the church to pray for him - for an "open door" to share Christ. Then he tells the church to be wise in how they deal with unbelievers and to "make the most of every opportunity." (Col. 4:5)

I need to pray being watchful.
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men