Eternal Security

Are you sure that a Christian's salvation is secure? What if he or she sins too much or commits a really big sin? Many of us have been challenged by people who say that a Christian can lose his or her salvation.

Some of these people point to Christ's words in Revelation - "Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God" (Rev 3:12) - to say that a Christian must maintain their salvation by living a holy life and overcoming sin. Indeed Christ talks about "him who overcomes" several times to the churches in Revelation.

But what does Christ mean by "overcoming"? What must we overcome and how? While thinking about this the other day the Lord gave this passage:

"...for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."
1 John 5:4-5

It seems our overcoming is by faith in Christ. Once we put our faith in Christ as our Savior we become overcomers and victorious in Him. It is Christ who saves and Christ who keeps.

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.
John 10:27-28
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men