Jump


“without faith it is impossible to please God”
Hebrews 11:6

If we want to please God, we are going to have to learn to grow in faith.

Even before my kids could swim I used to put them at the edge of the pool.  I would be in the pool and tell them to “jump, daddy will catch you.”  Then I would move out of the way and let them drown (just kidding).  I would catch them every time and then have them do it again.

At first they hesitated to jump.  Fear griped their heart.  They weren’t sure they could trust me or if I was strong enough to hold them up and keep them from drowning.  But after one or two jumps they put complete faith in me, that I would not let them drown.

Similarly God will also ask us to jump (stretch our faith) so that He can catch us and our faith will grow.  Stretching our faith involves attempting things for God in which success can only come through God’s power.

Paul jumped when God asked him to be the Apostle to the gentiles – to go on missionary trips to preach the gospel all around the gentile world.  His faith was definitely stretched as seen through his recollection:

We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. 9 Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope [trust] that he will continue to deliver us
2 Corinthians 1:8-10

Trust God the next time He tells you “JUMP”.

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men