Waiting


Country Singer Brad Paisley wrote a song called “Waiting on a Woman”.  In it an old man tells his story how since 1952 he’s been waiting on his wife who makes him late everywhere – but he’s learned not to mind, because she is worth the wait.

Well I still haven’t learned to patiently wait on my wife, but one thing I know, God wants us to learn to wait on Him:

15 This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says:  “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it… 18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!
Isaiah 30:15-18

To wait on God is to trust Him in every situation of my life.  Singles want to get married yesterday; Businessmen want to get promoted “right now”; sick people want to be healed “today”; and those in economic crisis want to win the lotto just this once.

But God wants us to trust in Him before, during, and after we hit the bumps of life.  Notice what God says is required to gain inner strength:

·        “Repentance” – I need to analyze my life and confess my sins to God
·        “Rest” – to rest in Him is to Trust that He has it all figured out and will act on my behalf in His good time.
·        “Quietness” – sitting still before God in Prayer and in meditation of His Word.  Letting His Presence fill me.
·        “Trust” – Depending on Him to rescue me.

This is called “Waiting on God”.  Not taking matters in my own hands, but waiting for His mighty arm to work on my behalf.

But why should I trust Him and wait on Him?   Because “the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.”

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men