Honoring Your Parents

As I was reading through the story of Esther I was amazed at how she had learned to honor her parents even though the man who raised her wasn't even her real father - he was her uncle Mordecai who adopted her after her parents untimely death. She first honored her adoptive father by being obedient: "But Esther had kept secret her family background and nationality just as Mordecai had told her to do, for she continued to follow Mordecai's instructions as she had done when he was bringing her up." Esther 2:20 Obedience to a parent is the highest form of honor.

As she grew older and became queen she continued to honor him, but not as a child who simply obeys orders, but as a mature person who knows how to negotiate and find common ground for the good of everyone. So when Mordecai wants her to go to the king and beg for mercy for the Jewish nation, she doesn't just rush in to the throne room (which could have cost her her life). "Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: "Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish." Esther 4:15-16 As an adult daughter, she listened to him but wisely added to his plan to increase its chances of success.

Recently my dad visited me from Miami, and we were able to spend some time together doing things we both enjoy. We celebrated my kids graduation, we went to a museum, we saw a movie about Cuba, and then spent the next two days talking about Cuba and the eventual fall of Fidel Castro. I hope I was able to honor my aging dad in this way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men