Holding our Tongue in Suffering

Job suffered a lot. He lost his kids, his servants, his livestock, and finally his health.

When we are suffering, we are tempted to blame God – “Why has God let this happen to me?” At that point we have two options: TRUST in God’s love, strength, and His good purpose for our lives, or FIGHT Him by denying Him or cursing Him.

David sung about God’s love and strength in Psalms 62:

One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, 12 and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.
Psalms 62:11-12

Job desired to avoid the “denying or cursing God” option but he knew he was in a very weakened condition. He said:

"Oh, that I might have my request, that God would grant what I hope for,
9 that God would be willing to crush me, to let loose his hand and cut me off! 10 Then I would still have this consolation — my joy in unrelenting pain — that I had not denied the words of the Holy One.
Job 6:8-10

Job preferred that God would let him die rather than denying Him. It’s tough to stay faithful in suffering, especially if you don’t know why God is allowing the pain.

In the same discourse Job’s faithfulness begins to crack under the pressure of such great pain and suffering.

"What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, 18 that you examine him every morning and test him every moment? 19 Will you never look away from me, or let me alone even for an instant? 20 If I have sinned, what have I done to you, O watcher of men? Why have you made me your target? Have I become a burden to you?
Job 7:17-20

So Job, as human as we are, begins to accuse God of mercilessly testing man “every moment” and targeting Job for unknown reasons.

While Job has these moments of weakness, in the end Job remained faithful to God – TRUSTING in God’s love in spite of his pain.
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men