Tread-marks Over Others

This weekend God reminded me of how flawed I could be - being right on the issues and wrong in the attitude. I corrected a couple of brothers for not following my instructions. Clearly they were not doing what they were told to do. When I approached them to correct them, I was right (on the issue) & I was wrong (in my execution and timing). I really didn't seek to understand their hearts - why they were disregarding the instruction. I was just angry and frustrated at their casual and blatant violation of instructions.

I could have waited to speak to them later (patience). The world would not have collapsed if I had done so. But my anger got the best of me and it showed. I did apologize later and forgiveness was given and received. But I wanted to go deeper into me and my understanding of correcting others. So as I prayed and sought God's face this morning God spoke to me through his Word.

According to Jesus our words and actions reveal our hearts:

You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."
Matthew 12:33-37

It is important to get to the heart of a person when correcting them using their words and /or actions to to try and pinpoint where their may be a heart problem.

It could be a wicked heart like the Pharisees whom Jesus called "a brood of vipers". OR it could be a simple weakness of heart or flawed value system (thinking).

Paul tells us to "help the weak, be patient with everyone." 1 Thess 5:14

To those whose actions or words display flawed values or thinking, we need to "correct, rebuke and encourage — with great patience and careful instruction." 2 Tim 4:2 Paul encourages his other great disciple to "Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you." Titus 2:15

WOW. I have got to grow in patience and discernment & learn not to rebuke in anger. Just in time for God's latest lesson in my life, yesterday I read the following from J. Oswald Sanders' book "Spiritual Leadership" as he was discussing a Leader's Empathy: "The Lord's servant is sympathetic with the weak, mercifully understanding towards those who err. How often do people who fail wear the tread-marks of fellow pilgrims...Those who follow in His steps will never walk over people."

Ouch. I think I left some tread-marks on a couple of brothers. But by God's grace and their forgiving spirit I think they were removed.

Comments

  1. Hi Mandy, this is Rod. I'm so encouraged to hear about what the Lord is doing with you guys up there. I checked the church's website and it brought lots of great memories. I was there (Woodstock) about 3 weeks ago for a men's conference over by First Baptist Church of Woodstock. I was going to call Fidel, but didn't have enough time. Maybe next time... I like your blog. Continue to seek the Lord and help others.

    Blessings,
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rod, we would have loved to see you. I heard that you are pasting a church and I saw your picture on your bike. This is Great. Hope to be able to see you soon.

    God bless,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men