God and our Hearts

How active is God in the heart of people?

1 Samuel 24 has two fascinating verses that reveal the answer to this question from the perspective of two Old Testament characters:

v.10 - [David said] This day you have seen with your own eyes how the Lord delivered you into my hands in the cave. Some urged me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, ‘I will not lay my hand on my lord, because he is the Lord’s anointed.’

v.18 -  [Saul said] You have just now told me about the good you did to me; the Lord delivered me into your hands, but you did not kill me.

Both David and Saul shared a common belief that God is actively involved in the hearts of men and women. It was God who made Saul desire to use the bathroom and he moved Saul to choose the very cave where David was hiding. Both believed that God delivered Saul into David's hand.

God actively moved in Saul's heart to put him right where he wanted him. Of course God did not want David to kill Saul. Rather this was a test of David's faith and values. He passed the test saying "I will not lift my hand against my master,...the Lord's anointed." David passed the test of faith perseverance and loyalty.

God does move in people's hearts to fulfill His purposes. But he also gives people the ability to choose right from wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men