Don't Want to Listen to God's Instructions?

Today I was struck by a simple yet profound truth: "you reap what you sow". For non farmers that means you eat the consequences of your actions.

Proverbs 1:23-33 came alive to me today. First, by seeing the benefits of responding correctly to God's instructions.

If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you...whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm."
Prov 1:23, 33
WOW! When I listen to God, He pours out His heart to me. God pours out HIS HEART to me. The more I listen and obey God the more He will reveal His thoughts and heart to me. The God of the universe will speak and reveal himself to me. If that weren't enough, God says if I listen and obey I will also live in safety, ease, and without fear of harm.
However, if we reject God's advice, rebuke, and outstretched helping hand (vs. 24-32) we will reap the consequences --- disaster, calamity, overwhelming distress and trouble, death and destruction. The greater and wider our disregard for God and his law is, the deeper we will drink of this junk. Here are verses 24-32 as a continual warning to all of us:
But since you rejected me when I called and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand, 25 since you ignored all my advice and would not accept my rebuke, 26 I in turn will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when calamity overtakes you — 27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when distress and trouble overwhelm you. 28 "Then they will call to me but I will not answer;they will look for me but will not find me. 29 Since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the LORD, 30 since they would not accept my advice and spurned my rebuke, 31 they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes. 32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,and the complacency of fools will destroy them
Prov 1:24-32

Comments

  1. It's really funny how I try and do things on my own without the help of the lord. I guess it is part of being human for thinking i can do that and succeed. I've found now it is much better for me to queit the noise inside of me so i can hear the voice of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle, one of hardest disciplines for a Christian is to still his soul and through prayer and the Word give God the time to speak. Keep pressin' on. Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men