Father's Day

Yesterday was Father's day. I had a great day. My wife made me breakfast fit for a king - scrambled eggs with ham, cheese, tomatoes, and mushrooms. With that she served me pancakes with maple syrup. Then I played Axis and Allies (a manly war game) with my kids and brother-in-law. I won (my son Josiah helped me win). Then we went to church. I preached a message titled "The Importance of Fathers" (you can hear it on-line on The Rock's website). I challenged the men of our church to take up their proper roles as the leaders of their families - to take the lead in nurturing and disciplining their children in order to raise godly/kingdom building children for God. I firmly believe that if men would stop abandoning their wives and children and grab hold of their God-given role we could effectively wipe out violent crime in our cities and virtually reduce all social ills that plague our society. It takes courageous God-fearing men to raise kids right. I pray that I and my fellow dads in our church would rise to the occasion and commit ourselves to being this kind of dad.
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord
Ephesians 6:4
If you want to read some good stuff on fathering go my friend Rick Whitney's web site: http://www.gcnwdads.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men