Humility in the Air

I have a friend who doesn't master the English language yet (and probably never will) who once said to his wife "Honey, there is a lot of humility in the air tonight." Of course he meant "humidity". But since there is a lot of "Humility" talk in the air of The Rock Woodstock I will share that I found another powerful verse in Proverbs that captures a important aspect of humility. Proverbs 13:13 says: "He who scorns instruction will pay for it, but he who respects a command is rewarded." The message is simple - respect and submit to wise instruction and commands and enjoy rewards OR disregard and laugh at instruction and PAY FOR IT. Smack your heard against the proverbial wall.

I too must remember to listen carefully to instruction and counsel of others. I think sometimes as a pastor or seasoned parent I can come to think I have all the answers. I don't. I know God will test me to see if I am remaining humble - listening to sound advice from others and cooperating with my fellow elders and peers. As Benjamin Franklin once said: "We all need to doubt our own infallibility"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men