No Pain No Gain

The Life You’ve Always Wanted by John Ortberg
(My Thoughts)

Chapter 13

“Suffering alone does not produce perseverance, only suffering that is endured somehow in faith”. Page 220

When God allows suffering, pain and trials into our lives it will only produce the desired result (spiritual growth) only if we endure it by faith---faithfully obeying God’s principles.

True faith always expresses itself through obedience.

If in the midst of suffering I mistreat others, cease praying or reading the Word, and throw myself into the illegitimate pleasures of this world to escape the pain, I am not acting in faith. The trial and suffering will have no positive spiritual value to me.

I think my greatest time of spiritual growth was the 1 ½ years prior to moving to Georgia. The suffering, anguish, and difficulties associated with the move helped transform me for the better. I grew in:
  • Loving others who acted unlovingly towards me
  • Perseverance and hope when things were looking bad
  • Faithfulness in finishing tasks that would been easier to just drop
  • Faith as I saw the hand of God open doors I believed to be hopelessly shut
  • My prayer life and deeper understanding of God’s principles for life

I thank God for my suffering although deep down inside I really don’t want to ever go through similar hardships again.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1:2-4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men