Party On

The Life You’ve Always Wanted by John Ortberg
(My Thoughts)

Chapter 4

“God is the happiest being in the universe.” page 63

“The Bible puts joy in the non-optional category. Joy is a command. Joylessness is a serious sin, on the religious people are particularly prone to indulge in. It may be the sin most readily tolerated by the church.” page 63-64

“There is a being in the universe who wants you to live in sorrow, but it’s not God” page 64

I need to practice joy in my life. I need to discipline myself to do the things that will make my life more joyful. So here’s what I propose to do:

1. Practice Gratefulness – Thank God more for the great things in my life and the mundane. For “every tick of the clock is a gift from God.” Page 65

2. Enjoy the Moment – Enjoy my present activity and stop anticipating the next one. Live in the present. Enjoy the NOW. Enjoy those who are with me now. Stop thinking about what I could be doing.

3. Schedule Days of Celebration – Once every two weeks I will plan to have a JOY DAY by:

  • Engaging in an activity that I love (playing football or B-ball; visiting a small town, touring a museum, exploring a national or state park, playing paintball, or something else I want to do)
  • Eating food I love at a particular restaurant or have my own BBQ
  • Do it with friends that are uplifting

4. Develop an Eternal Perspective – view the circumstances that come my way with eternal/biblical eyes – in light of the Resurrection and the ultimate triumph of the Risen Christ. We know how the story ends. Christ wins and a BIG PARTY will follow.

Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. 8 Fine linen, bright and clean,was given her to wear."
(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)
9 Then the angel said to me, "Write: 'Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!'"
Revelations 19:7-9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humility

Bad Shepherds

God's Looking for a Few Good Men